[Python-Dev] Installing Python 2.6 alpha1 on Windows XP

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 00:25:30 CET 2008

On 17/03/2008, Gregor Lingl <gregor.lingl at aon.at> wrote:
>  When doing the same call to execute idle as you, I got the following:
>
>  Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "c:\Python26\Lib\idlelib\idle.py", line 6, in <module>
>     import PyShell
>   File "c:\Python26\Lib\idlelib\PyShell.py", line 9, in <module>
>     import socket
>   File "c:\Python26\Lib\socket.py", line 46, in <module>
>     import _socket
>  ImportError: DLL load failed: <in German: system cannot find this file>

Can you try running C:\Python26\python.exe, and then at the
interpreter prompt, execute:

import sys
print sys.path
import socket

and post the results?

I expect you will get the same error about _socket not being loadable,
but I'd like to check. Also can you try just "import _socket"?

What is the size of _socket.pyd - mine is 44,032 bytes.

Another thought - do you have any copies of msvcr90.dll on your PATH?
I don't think it'll make a difference, but if you do can you try
renaming them?

>  I never experienced a similar Problem before when installing Python.
>
>  Any ideas?

Not many :-(

One final thought, what is the value of your PATH variable? Mine has
no Python entries in it at all - that's normal, the Python installer
doesn't set PATH.

Sorry I can't be of more help,
Paul.