[Python-Dev] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Mar 18 06:31:55 CET 2008

After reading all this, I really don't  believe that adding egg
support to the stdlib at this time is the right thing to do. I am
therefore rejecting the PEP.

I am hoping that someone will create a simpler bootstrap module that
is able to download a file of pure Python code and install it, perhaps
by running its setup.py, assuming that it only depends on distutils
(or other things previously installed). I will welcome such a module
into the stdlib. I'm not sure a PEP is even needed, though interested
parties are certainly welcome to write a PEP specifying the behavior
first. With 2.6 and 3.0 slated for release in September, there should
be enough time to get this done before then.