[Python-Dev] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Mar 18 21:45:53 CET 2008

Guido van Rossum writes:

 > I am hoping that someone will create a simpler bootstrap module

FWIW (I've never tried to implement one of these things) I agree with
Phillip.  This is not possible in the sense you are advocating.
Anything "simpler" is simply an invitation to an unending stream of
issues, far more so than adopting eggs as a best current practice
would.  Better to Just Say No to an installer in the stdlib.

 > I'm not sure a PEP is even needed

This I simply don't understand.  I *have* participated in bolting on
features to such systems, and it's a mess.  As features are added,
existing users will demand that old packages install exactly as they
ever did, except that sometimes (but not always!) they want them
upgraded to put things in newly blessed places.  Features are easy to
add, since on the main thread of control installers are basically just
a sequence of single commands, sometimes optional.

python-dev has some pretty good controls that will help slow such
trends.  Nonetheless, PEP-less development of an installer system is
scary.  Installer complexity is a creeping horror, worse than
kudzu.[1]

Footnotes:
[1]  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudzu#Invasive_species