[Python-Dev] Python 3000: Special type for object attributes & map keys

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Mar 19 02:51:48 CET 2008

Neal Norwitz wrote:
> Part of this is done, but very differently in that all strings used in
> code objects are interned (stored in a dictionary

And since two interned strings can be compared
by pointer identity, I don't see how this differs
significantly from the "unique integer" idea.

If the integers were used to directly index an
array instead of being used as dict keys, it
might make a difference. The cost would be that
every namespace would need to be as big as
the number of names in existence, with most
of them being extremely sparse.