[Python-Dev] unittest's redundant assertions: asserts vs. failIf/Unlesses

Gabriel Grant grantgm at mcmaster.ca
Wed Mar 19 23:54:24 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Jonathan Lange <jml at mumak.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 6:24 PM, Gabriel Grant <grantgm at mcmaster.ca> wrote:
>  > Hi all,
>  >
>  >  This gem from unittest.py is pretty much the opposite of "one obvious way":
>  >
>  >     # Synonyms for assertion methods
>  >
>  [snip]
>
>  >  Could these be removed for 3k?
>
>  I agree with others who say that we shouldn't do this for Python 3k.
>  If we want to get rid of them, we should deprecate them, wait a
>  release or so, *then* remove them.

It seems to me if we want to remove this at some point, the time is
now. I'm not aware of anything starting off deprecated in 3k - my
impression is the whole point of 3k is to clean house.

Deprecation warnings can be put into 2.6 if people think thats
necessary, but the more important thing will be including it in 2to3.
I'm working on that right now, so if/when the actual wording is
finalized, it should just be a matter of changing around the order of
the function names in a dict.

-Gabriel