[Python-Dev] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Thu Mar 20 15:10:41 CET 2008

Bob Kline wrote:
> Are things really that different in the non-Windows worlds?  If I want
> python-nose, I run "sudo apt-get install python-nose" (and that means I
> can always remove it with "sudo apt-get remove ...").  Seems more
> similar than different (ignoring the silliness of Microsoft's insistence
> on "the GUI is the OOWTDI" even for such administrative tasks as
> installing system-wide software).

I was going to -- pointedly -- drop in here the help output
for msiexec, which is the commandline version of the MSI
installation graphical stuff. Only... when I did msiexec /?,
the result was that a Window popped up with the information
in it. (Sort of agrees with your point a bit!)

Still, here's the info (cut-and-pasted from that window):

-----

Windows ® Installer. V 3.01.4000.1823

msiexec /Option <Required Parameter> [Optional Parameter]

Install Options
	</package | /i> <Product.msi>
		Installs or configures a product
	/a <Product.msi>
		Administrative install - Installs a product on the network
	/j<u|m> <Product.msi> [/t <Transform List>] [/g <Language ID>]
		Advertises a product - m to all users, u to current user
	</uninstall | /x> <Product.msi | ProductCode>
		Uninstalls the product

[... snip lots of other options ...]

TJG