[Python-Dev] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Mar 20 16:25:18 CET 2008

At 09:33 AM 3/20/2008 +0000, Paul Moore wrote:
>1. No integration with the system packager (Windows, in my case). If I
>do easy_install nose, then nose does not show up in add/remove
>programs. That significantly affects the way I manage my PC.

The long-term fix here is probably to have a platform-specific
installer capable of either turning eggs into .msi or .exe
installers, or of doing the add/remove programs integration
directly.  (Someone, of course, will have to step up to create such a tool.)

>5. Auto-discovery doesn't always work. I'm sorry, I really can't
>recall the example at the moment, but sometimes easy_install says it
>can't find a package I *know* is available.

Sometimes it does that to me, too.  But then I look at the project's
page in PyPI, and they don't have a link to a download
page.  Usually, they've got a link to a page on their site with
instructions about downloading, but that doesn't directly link to any
tarballs or anything.  So I grab the link of the real download page
and paste it into a -f option to easy_install, so it knows where to
find the link from.