[Python-Dev] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Mar 21 00:51:00 CET 2008

At 12:58 AM 3/20/2008 -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:

> A lot of setuptools warts are driven by related design problems in the
> distutils, such as the choice to use imperative / procedural code for
> everything

If a distutils replacement is ever written, I'd like to
see it structured as a dependency graph, like a makefile,
with each node in the graph knowing how to transform its
inputs into its outputs.

That would make it a lot easier to extend to accommodate
new things like Pyrex. You'd just have to write a new
node class that knows how to turn .pyx files into .c
files, and the existing machinery would take it from
there.

--
Greg