[Python-Dev] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Mar 21 01:31:56 CET 2008

"Tres Seaver" <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote in message
news:47E26A20.1090402 at palladion.com...

| Paul Moore wrote:
|
| > 1. No integration with the system packager (Windows, in my case). If I
| > do easy_install nose, then nose does not show up in add/remove
| > programs. That significantly affects the way I manage my PC.
|
| Point taken. Of course, it isn't really a "program" at that point:  it
| is an installed "add-on" to Python.  However, if Windows users expect
| such add-ons to show up in the "system" list, that is good to know.

However, this Windows user, and I expect most, do NOT expect add-ons
(things under the /Pythonx.y tree) to show up in the add/remove list.
Please do not do that.  On my system, it already takes several seconds to
'populate the list'.  It is bad enough that Windows Update occasionally
adds entries like 'Windows Update KB284798324' instead of adding something
to the separate 'Manage Windows components' subsystem with readable names
and explanations.

The standard (and to me, preferable)  way of dealing with such things is to
have an 'installation manager' that can reinstall as well as delete and
that has a check box for various things to delete.  This is what Python
needs.

Terry Jan Reedy