[Python-Dev] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Fri Mar 21 16:53:13 CET 2008

On Mar 20, 2008, at 6:22 PM, Robert Brewer wrote:

> Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>> The other tool that would be handy to have, would be one that unpacks
>> eggs into standard distutils-style installation.
>
> Hear, hear. I'm an author of a couple libraries that need to
> interoperate with others. Of the many eggs I've downloaded over the
> past
> year, I'd say 80%+ are never installed or even built--I just want to
> grep the source code, and using my preferred tools, not some lame Find
> command in a ZIP browser menu.

Um, isn't this tool called "unzip"?  I have done this -- accessed the
source code -- many times, and unzip suffices.

I don't know what else would be required in order to make an egg into
"a standard distutils-style installation".  Until PJE's comment
above, I thought that unzip already accomplished exactly that.

Regards,

Zooko