[Python-Dev] Python source code on Bazaar vcs

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Mar 21 21:50:47 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 1:42 AM, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven
<asmodai at in-nomine.org> wrote:
> (To provide counterweight.)
>

>  -On [20080320 20:44], Barry Warsaw (barry at python.org) wrote:
>  >We have not made a decision to move to Bazaar officially, nor have we made
>  >a decision to even move off of Subversion.
>
>  Good, because between this now and pytz the other 63 projects I follow use
>  Subversion or Mercurial.
>  Bazaar seems to be mostly limited to Ubuntu users and stuff Canonical does,
>  so the choice for a Bazaar setup next to Subversion strikes me a bit as odd.
>  Mercurial is also Python, distributed and with a, as far as I (can) track
>  things, bigger market share than Bazaar.

Just to head this off, this is not a specific vote of confidence for
Bazaar. The Bazaar developers were at PyCon and both Barry and Thomas
were willing to put the time and effort to get the mirror up and going
while the Bazaar team was nearby to answer questions. At this point
this is more of an experiment to see if people like the development
style of distributed VCS. If people do and someone steps forward to
put the time and effort to add Mercurial support, we can then consider
doing something similar to what was done for the issue tracker.

But for right now this is just to try out distributed VCS, nothing more.

-Brett