[Python-Dev] How we can get rid of eggs for 2.6 and beyond

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Mar 21 22:22:53 CET 2008

At 05:59 PM 3/21/2008 +0100, Christian Heimes wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby schrieb:
> > Questions, comments...  volunteers?   :)
>
>I've yet to read the monster package utils thread so I can't comment on
>it. However I like to draw some attention to my PEP 370
>http://python.org/dev/peps/pep-0370/. It's about a site packages
>directory in the users home directory. I think it quite related to the
>discussion.

Actually, it's 100% orthogonal, if done correctly.  If anything, this
slightly reduces the need for per-user site-packages, since in the
new world, .pth files would generally only be needed for "develop"
installs.  (Assuming we find a way to support namespace packages
without using .pth files, that is.)