[Python-Dev] Primer on distributed revision control?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 23:47:33 CET 2008

On 21/03/2008, skip at pobox.com <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
> With all these distributed revision control systems now available (bzr, hg,
>  darcs, svk, many more), I find I need an introduction to the concepts and
>  advantages of repository distribution.  It seems to me that it has the
>  potential for leading to anarchy, though I can see how some things would be
>  improved (working offline, maintaining local patches).  It's not obvious how
>  I push changes back upstream.  Can someone point me to some useful content
>  (web pages or books) which will help me wrap my brain around the ideas?
>  Maybe a compare/contrast of the major players?

The Mercurial book is good (http://hgbook.red-bean.com/) although it's
Mercurial-specific (unsurprisingly). The Bazaar user guide
(http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/bzr.dev/en/user-guide/index.html) isn't
bad, either, although I personally prefer the Mercurial book.

I've yet to see a really good side-by-side comparison of Mercurial and
Bazaar, which is a shame, as these 2 are to my mind, the hardest to
differentiate in terms of features, etc. (Mercurial is generally
considered faster, although Bazaar has caught up a lot recently. An up
to date performance comparison would be interesting).

Paul.