[Python-Dev] How we can get rid of eggs for 2.6 and beyond

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Mar 22 16:51:09 CET 2008

> I more question the permissions and uid/gid stuff; I'm not really
> clear on what I'd use that stuff for in easy_install/uninstall/etc.

I think this was all captured in amk's statement "RPM-like
verification". RPM not only verifies file content, but also whether
the permissions are all correct. So if the administrator mistakenly
does a chown -R on a subtree, he can get back to what it was with
the package manager, without having to reinstall everything, or can
atleast find out what packages he broke.

IIUC, the Solaris package manager provides the same feature.

MSI provides a "repair installation", which doesn't really check
anything, but reruns the entire installation (and then skipping
those files who passed the checksum test, where checksums had
been recorded in the MSI).

Regards,
Martin