[Python-Dev] How we can get rid of eggs for 2.6 and beyond

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Mar 22 17:30:45 CET 2008

> Oh, and application installation is (should be) completely different.
> On Windows, applications should probably be bundled with their own
> Python interpreter, a la py2exe. On Unix/Linux, I don't know what the
> standard is, so I'd have to defer to others.

This I disagree with. I think it's an overall bad thing to have all
kinds of applications ship their own copy of Python; see also Aza
Raskin's PyCon keynote.

On Linux, python typically comes with the system pre-installed;
it is not even an option not to have it, except for minimalist
installations. So if you write python scripts, you typically
expect that #!/usr/bin/env python works; you might put python2.5
there if you don't trust that system one is "good enough".

For installing the application, you typically want the choice
between a "system installation" (in /usr/bin, or perhaps
/usr/local/bin), and a "user installation". As distutils supports
both cases, it works fairly well for applications as well.

Regards,
Martin