[Python-Dev] Proposal: from __future__ import unicode_string_literals

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Mar 24 12:26:35 CET 2008

>>  I don't understand. AFAICT, Zope *is* a library, i.e. you have to run
>>  setup.py for lots of packages. Do you not have to run setup.py, for,
>>  say, zope.interface, or zope.psycopgda?
> No, Zope is not a library, it's an application. No, you typically do
> not setup packages, although most (but not all) parts of Zope 3 is
> setup if you run Zope in a buildout configuration. Zope 2 does not.

I was talking about

Is that not the right source?

In any case, using 2to3 for applications is even easier than using it
for libraries, assuming there is an installation procedure for the

>>  > The Plone collective works like this, and it is *not*
>>  > reasonably well managed, so there software quite often doens't get
>>  > released, but people run against trunk.
>>  And that's fine. You still can integrate 2to3 with that transparently.
> I can not see how that would work.

To me "run against trunk" means that I check out some source, then
run "setup.py install" (or buildout, or make). This will invoke
2to3 behind the scenes.

I don't know exactly how plone works, but I could imagine that
it's also possible to run 2to3 when plone "loads" a "component"
(and I'm sure I'm using the wrong words here).

> Maybe it's not apparent to people that hasn't developed in that kind
> of environment, and I'm sorry I'm not able to make this clearer. But
> that's just the way it is.

I guess I could better understand with a very specific example.
You gave Django as a very specific example, and I looked at Django,
and it works just fine with 2to3. "The Plone collective" is not
a specific example, as it doesn't allow me to reproduce your
problems. What is the specific thing I would want to do with it,
and what specific source repository do I need to check out to do