[Python-Dev] Proposal: from __future__ import unicode_string_literals

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Mar 24 21:35:44 CET 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> For example, if I'm using the (real source) py2.6 code, and I create a
>> patch that works for me, it is ready for testing and submission.  If
>> I'm using the (generated) py3 code, then I first have to get a copy of
>> the (source) 2.6, figure out how I *would* have written it there, then
>> keep tweaking it so that the generator eventually puts out ... what I
>> had originally written by hand.
>
> Yes, that's tedious. In that case, it is easier to edit the original
> source, and then rerun 2to3, rather than editing the compiler output.

This technique has actually been the one recommended by Guido for
migration for at least a year now. Clearly you can't have developers
tweaking source on both sides of the "great divide", as one may have to
re-cast bits of one's 2.6 code in order to get a satisfactory
translation into 3.0.

Once you start editing 3.0 source you have to either leave the 2.X world
behind or accept a dual-source development.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119