[Python-Dev] How we can get rid of eggs for 2.6 and beyond

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Mar 26 00:17:28 CET 2008

ajaksu wrote:
> While Linux and OS X both view Python as essentially a first-class
> development platform-i.e., as something that shrink-wrap applications
> can be built on-Windows does not.

Even on MacOSX and Linux, you can't rely on the system
coming with the particular version of Python you want
to use pre-installed. So unless you target a very old
version of Python, you have to bundle anyway if you
don't want users to have to download and install a
bunch of dependencies.

If the situation is any better on Linux, it's probably
because Linux users tend to be more willing and/or able
to track down and install dependencies along with an
app.

--
Greg