[Python-Dev] No time for svn merge

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Mon Mar 31 14:25:01 CEST 2008

Facundo Batista schrieb:
> Me for myself, I thought that the trunk -> 3k merge was easier!
>
> Sometimes I commited changes to the trunk, don't worrying about 3k at
> all,  thinking it was a mostly automatic process.
>
> Now that I know this, I will start patching both trunk & 3k simultaneously...

In most cases it's easy. Usually it takes me less than 20 minutes per
day to merge the chances from trunk -> py3k. In this particular case
several obstacles come together. The changes in the AST and parser code
aren't trivial, I'm not familiar with the internals of the AST and
parser code and my free time is very limited.

Please don't patch trunk and py3k simultaneously. It may confuse svn and
may make future merges harder. You should apply the patch to the trunk
and either merge or block the revision with svnmerge.

Example:

# Commit a patch to the trunk
~$ cd python/trunk
trunk$ svn ci -m "Message"
Committed revision 1234.

# Merge the revision to the py3k branch
trunk $ cd ../py3k
py3k $ svnmerge.py merge -r 1234

# resolve conflicts

# commit the merge
py3k $ svn ci -F svnmerge-commit-message.txt

Christian