[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Invitation to try out open source code review tool

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri May 2 00:41:14 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> As I understood this,one needs a diff to comment on.
>  I can imagine wanting, or wanting others, to be able to comment on a file
>  or lines of files without making a fake diff (of the file versus itself or
>  a blank file). Then only one column would be needed.

Yeah, this use case is not well supported. In my experience with the
internal tool at Google, I don't think that anybody has ever requested
that feature, so perhaps in practice it's not so common. I mean, who
wants to review a 5000-line file once it's checked in? :-) The right
point for such a review (certainly this is the case at Google) is when
it goes in.

>  I presume the current site is for trial purposes.

Actually I'm hoping to keep it alive forever, just evolving the
functionality based on feedback.

>  You obviously don't want
>  hundreds of repositories listed.

Repository management is a bit of an open problem. Fortunately, when
you use upload.py, you don't need to have a repository listed --
upload.py will specify the correct base URL, especially for
repositories hosted at Google. (I should probably figure out how to
support SourceForge as well...)

>  Are you planning, for instance, to
>  suggest that Google project hosting add a Review tab or link to the project
>  pages?

They've been following my release with interest...

>  And I followed the link to pages about Rietveld ;-)

Thanks. :-)