[Python-Dev] Reminder: last alphas next Wednesday 07-May-2008

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Fri May 2 11:16:33 CEST 2008

-On [20080502 11:00], Christian Heimes (lists at cheimes.de) wrote:
>Windows and Mac OS X have dedicated directories for application specific
>libraries. That is ~/Library on Mac and Application Data on Windows. The
>latter is i18n-ed and called "Anwendungsdaten" in German. Fortunately
>Windows sets an environment var to the application data directory.

And Vista has C:\ProgramData\{vendor}\{application}, which is *not*
$APPDATA, but $ProgramData. $APPDATA points to
C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming on Vista -- which is very different.

"Windows uses the Roaming folder for application specific data, such as
custom dictionaries, which are machine independent and should roam with the
user profile. The AppData\Roaming folder in Windows Vista is the same as the
Documents and Settings\username\Application Data folder in Windows XP."

I think that's different from what you meant above though, since I doubt
you'd want this (the libraries) to roam with the user.

See
http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/b/a/3ba6d659-6e39-4cd7-b3a2-9c96482f5353/Managing%20Roaming%20User%20Data%20Deployment%20Guide.doc
for more background.

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
Seek not death in the error of your life: and pull not upon yourselves
destruction with the works of your hands...