[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Reminder: last alphas next Wednesday 07-May-2008

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Fri May 2 19:53:54 CEST 2008

On May 1, 2008, at 7:54 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Interesting.  I'm of the opposite opinion.  I really don't want
> Python dictating to me what my home directory should look like (a
> dot file doesn't count because so many tools conspire to hide it
> from me).  I guess there's always $PYTHONUSERBASE, but I think I
> will not be alone. ;)

Using ~/.local/ for user-managed content doesn't seem right to me at
all, because it's hidden by default.

If user-local package installs went to ~/ by default (~/bin/ for
scripts, ~/lib/python/ or ~/lib/pythonX.Y/ for modules and packages),
with a way to set an alternate "prefix" instead of ~/ using a
distutils configuration setting, I'd be happy enough.

I'd be even happier if there were no default per-user location, but a
required configuration setting (in the existing distutils config
locations) in order to enable per-user installation.

   -Fred

--
Fred Drake   <fdrake at acm.org>