[Python-Dev] Invitation to try out open source code review tool

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sun May 4 18:52:07 CEST 2008

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 2:58 AM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
>>  Personally, I would consider the following sufficient:
>>
>>  1) people who have authenticated themselves against the underlying VCS (i.e.
>>  project members) may post public comments and comment on other comments
>
> Tell me how to authenticate against a SVN project using HTTP only.

Good question. :)

>>  2) anonymous users can post comments that won't become publicly visible until
>>  an authenticated user acknowledges them or comments on them.
>
> Can you work out this design more? I don't understand how an
> authenticated user can acknowledge an anonymous comment if it isn't
> publicly visible.

I was suggesting that you'd sign in as a project member and would then see all
comments. They just wouldn't show up on the public web sites without further
action. I think that matches the normal work flow. External users usually do
some kind of upstream talk anyway. It would be rare that no project member is
involved in a patch contribution. And new contributions would go through the
bug tracker first anway, right?

> Also, AFAIK our bug tracker doesn't support
> anonymous comments either, so I don't think this is an important use
> case.

>>  That should be enough to keep the system open to everybody and to keep spam away.
>
> It's also more work to code.

Sure, it's also just an idea from my side.

Stefan