[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Reminder: last alphas next Wednesday 07-May-2008

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sun May 4 22:56:34 CEST 2008

On 2008-05-04 21:57, Christian Heimes wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg schrieb:
>>> PYTHONPATH is lacking one feature which is important for lots of
>>> packages and setuptools. The directories in PYTHONPATH are just added to
>>> sys.path. But setuptools require a site package directory. Maybe a new
>>> env var PYTHONSITEPATH could solve the problem.
>> We don't need another setup variable for this. Just place a
>> well-known module into the site-packages/ directory and then
>> query it's __file__ attribute, e.g.
>>
>> site-packages/site_packages.py
>>
>> The module could even include a few helpers to query various
>> settings which apply to the site packages directory, e.g.
>>
>> site_packages.get_dir()
>> site_packages.list_packages()
>> site_packages.list_modules()
>> etc.
>
> I don't see how it is going to solve the use case "Add another site
> package directory when I don't have write access to the global site
> package directory and I don't want to modify my apps."

No, but it's going to solve the issue "which of the sys.path directories
is to be considered the site packages" directory. I was under the
impression that this is what you were after.

>> Just in case you don't know...
>>
>> python setup.py install --home=~
>>
>> will install to ~/lib/python
>>
>> The problem is not getting the packages installed in a non-admin
>> location. It's about Python looking in a non-admin location per
>> default (as well as in the site-packages location).
>
> I know the --home option. For one the --home option is Unix only and not
> supported on Windows Also the --user option takes all options of my PEP
> 370 user site directory into account, includinge the PYTHONUSERBASE env var.

Ok. Just wanted to mention that there is a precedent in distutils
for doing user home directory installations.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 04 2008)