[Python-Dev] Invitation to try out open source code review tool

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed May 7 07:10:48 CEST 2008

>>  Check out http://openid-provider.appspot.com/
>>
>>  Apparently it was created by your colleague Ryan Barrett. :)

I found that to be of limited use. If I use my proper gmail account
(mvloewis at googlemail.com), I managed to log into the OpenID directory,
but not, say, into SourceForge (probably because SF doesn't accept
that specific provider - so it's not truly open, and probably shouldn't
be).

If I used it with the Google account associated with my regular email
address, I couldn't login anywhere at all.

In any case, this provider apparently didn't provide an email address
to the site. That makes it useless for most applications I can think
of, unless it's acceptable to go through a setup procedure again at
the new site that asks for all the user details (real name, email
address) again.

> It solves the opposite problem -- using a Google Account to log in to
> an app that requires OpenID. People are clamoring for the opposite
> here.

Apparently, this comes from the appengine samples,

http://code.google.com/p/google-app-engine-samples/

which also includes an OpenID consumer.

I'm fairly skeptical about this OpenID thing. I personally couldn't
remember any of my OpenIDs, because they are just too long; plus
I haven't actually seen this really work anywhere yet.

Regards,
Martin