[Python-Dev] Buildbots have trouble checking out the repository due to recent changes.

Alexandre Vassalotti alexandre at peadrop.com
Sun May 11 23:29:04 CEST 2008

Hello,

I have been working the module renaming for PEP-3108, and I just
noticed that some buildbots are throwing errors while updating their
checkout. It seems the method I use for renaming modules hits a
subversion bug on certain platforms. The error thrown looks like this:

svn: In directory 'build/Lib/plat-mac'
svn: Can't move source to dest
svn: Can't move
'build/Lib/plat-mac/.svn/tmp/prop-base/pixmapwrapper.py.svn-base' to
'build/Lib/plat-mac/.svn/prop-base/pixmapwrapper.py.svn-base': No such
file or directory
program finished with exit code 1

(http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/all/x86 osx.5 trunk/builds/201/step-svn/0)

When I rename a module I use "svn copy", since "svn remove" doesn't
pick up changes made to the "deleted" file. For example, here is what
I did for PixMapWrapper:

   svn copy ./Lib/plat-mac/PixMapWrapper.py ./Lib/plat-mac/pixmapwrapper.py
   edit ./Lib/plat-mac/PixMapWrapper.py
   svn commit

It seems that I could avoid this error by using "cp" instead of "svn
copy" (which I did use for renaming copy_reg). However, I am not sure
if this method doesn't preserve the full history of file.

So, how should I do to fix the failing buildbots?

-- Alexandre