[Python-Dev] Buildbots have trouble checking out the repository due to recent changes.

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon May 12 00:31:10 CEST 2008

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Alexandre Vassalotti
<alexandre at peadrop.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2008/5/11 Alexandre Vassalotti <alexandre at peadrop.com>:
>>> When I rename a module I use "svn copy", since "svn remove" doesn't
>>> pick up changes made to the "deleted" file. For example, here is what
>>> I did for PixMapWrapper:
>>>
>>>   svn copy ./Lib/plat-mac/PixMapWrapper.py ./Lib/plat-mac/pixmapwrapper.py
>>>   edit ./Lib/plat-mac/PixMapWrapper.py
>>>   svn commit
>>
>> That seems a very odd usage. You're renaming, not copying. Why aren't
>> you using svn rename (svn move)? I can well imagine this causing
>> serious confusion.
>>

> I wrote:
>> When I rename a module I use "svn copy", since "svn remove" doesn't
>> pick up changes made to the "deleted" file. For example, here is what
>> I did for PixMapWrapper:
>
> Oops, I meant "svn rename" when I said "svn remove". As I said, if I
> use "svn rename" I cannot make changes to the file being renamed.
>

>> Please be very careful here - if you introduce revisions which contain
>> multiple files with names that differ only in case, you're going to
>> really mess up history (and probably the only clean way to fix this
>> will be to actually go back and edit the history).
>
> Oh, you are right. I totally forgot about case-insensible filesystems.
> This is really going to make such case-change renamings nasty.

The PEP specifies the lib-old directory to hold the old case name so
that the svn rename won't lead to two files in the same directory. I
was hoping that creating the stub in lib-old would allow a simple
``svn rename`` for the original module on a case-sensitive file-system
and the case-insensitive file-systems would just be able to deal with
it. Is that just not going to work?

Oh, and I am really sorry, Alexandre, but the PixMapWrapper rename
should have been taken out of the PEP as the entire Mac directory is
going away, so the rename is kind of pointless since the module is
going to be deleted.

-Brett