[Python-Dev] How best to handle the docs for a renamed module?

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Mon May 12 12:10:22 CEST 2008

Brett Cannon schrieb:
> For the sake of argument, let's consider the Queue module. It is now
> named queue. For 2.6 I plan on having both Queue and queue listed in
> the index, with Queue deprecated with instructions to use the new
> name.
>
> But what to do about all the references. Should we leave them pointing
> at Queue to lessen confusion for people who read about some module on
> some other site that isn't using the new name, or update everything in
> 2.6 to use the new name?

I've now updated docs for the Queue, SocketServer and copy_reg modules in
the trunk.

* File names (only important for copy_reg) and references use the new name.
* There are two "module" directives in the file; one for the old, one for the
   new name. The synopsis of the old name is "Old name of the XXX module."
* There is a note after the module directives that tells

    The :mod:`XXX` module has been renamed to :mod:`YYY` in Python 3.0.  It
    is importable under both names in Python 2.6 and the rest of the 2.x series.

Georg