[Python-Dev] Buildbots have trouble checking out the repository due to recent changes.

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon May 12 13:18:32 CEST 2008

2008/5/12 Alexandre Vassalotti <alexandre at peadrop.com>:
> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 5:29 PM, Alexandre Vassalotti
>  <alexandre at peadrop.com> wrote:
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > I have been working the module renaming for PEP-3108, and I just
>  > noticed that some buildbots are throwing errors while updating their
>  > checkout. It seems the method I use for renaming modules hits a
>  > subversion bug on certain platforms. The error thrown looks like this:
>  [SNIP]
>
> > So, how should I do to fix the failing buildbots?
>  >

>  I reverted the all problematic changes and the buildbots are green again.
>
>  Thank you all for you support!

Revision 63129 is not valid on case folding filesystems. In
particular, this horribly breaks using hg-svn to make a local mirror
of the Python repository:

http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk foo
>cd foo
>\apps\hgsvn\hgpullsvn
>hg log Lib\socketserver.py
changeset:   2:e8856fdf9300
branch:      trunk
tag:         svn.63129
user:        alexandre.vassalotti
date:        Mon May 12 02:37:10 2008 +0100
summary:     [svn] Renamed SocketServer to 'socketserver'.

>hg up -r2
abort: case-folding collision between Lib/socketserver.py and
Lib/SocketServer.py

>hg up -rtip
abort: case-folding collision between Lib/socketserver.py and
Lib/SocketServer.py

The hg repository is now totally broken.

I'm not sure there is a fix for this, short of going back and manually
fixing the history (and I don't know if this is possible at all using
Subversion).

I know it's a rare situation, but can people PLEASE be careful not to
introduce case issues like this - they pollute history for ever (I
still hit problems with some of the case funkiness in svn from the
early 1990's!!!)

Bazaar seems to be OK (ish) with this - it picks just one version to show.
Paul.