[Python-Dev] Adding start to enumerate()

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon May 12 19:42:49 CEST 2008

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Mon, 12 May 2008 08:20:51 am Georg Brandl wrote:
>> I believe the following is a common use-case for enumerate()
>> (at least, I've used it quite some times):
>>
>> for lineno, line in enumerate(fileobject):
>>
>> For this, it would be nice to have a start parameter for enumerate().
>
> Why would it be nice? What would you use it for?
>
> The only thing I can think of is printing lines with line numbers, and
> starting those line numbers at one instead of zero. If that's the only
> use-case, should it require built-in support?

It's fairly common in financial applications to number checks in
batches, from a starting point that depends on the number of checks
issued in previous runs. Having a start point would allow this to be
done more simply, though it's not anyway what I would call an onerous task.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119