[Python-Dev] On quote styles

David Borowitz borowitz at cs.stanford.edu
Tue May 13 02:26:53 CEST 2008

Python itself doesn't appear to follow that principle:
>>> "Ain't nothin' stoppin' this from usin' \"double quotes\"."
'Ain\'t nothin\' stoppin\' this from usin\' "double quotes".'

IMHO it's a useful rule of thumb, but like most of the other alternatives
presented in this thread, taken to extremes, it can get silly. (Imagine a
string with 10 's and 9 "s, and adding two more "s to it...) But I suppose
that's another reason these are just guidelines.

Dave Borowitz

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 5:00 PM, <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>    Benji> One such entry could be "Do what python does.":
>
>    >>> 'I am a string.'
>    'I am a string.'
>    >>> "I'm a string"
>    "I'm a string"
>
> That would be the principle of fewest backslashes. ;-)
>
> Skip

It is better to be quotable than to be honest.
-Tom Stoppard

Borowitz