[Python-Dev] Adding start to enumerate()

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue May 13 23:09:59 CEST 2008

"Duncan Booth" <duncan.booth at suttoncourtenay.org.uk> wrote in message
news:Xns9A9DA3EB5E8EBduncanrcpcouk at 127.0.0.1...

| If you are generating paginated output then a function to generate an
| arbitrary page would likely want to enumerate starting at some value
larger
| than one.
|
| Of course in that case you'll also want to skip part way through the
data,
| but I think it is more likely that you'll want to enumerate the partial
| data (e.g. if it is a database query) rather than slice the enumeration.

Not if the data is split across multiple files.  I remember editing and
printing a book from multiple files.   Decent word processors have an
option to start page numbering at something other than 1.  Much bigger
memories perhaps make this less common now.