[Python-Dev] Addition of "pyprocessing" module to standard lib.

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon May 19 12:30:40 CEST 2008

Ulrich Berning wrote:
> I'm trying to use the vendor specific compilers whenever possible,
> because using gcc puts in additional dependencies (libgcc), I want to
> avoid, and even if I could live with these dependencies, it's not easy
> to get/build the 'right' gcc version, if your software also depends on
> other big packages like Qt and PyQt.
>
> I'm not using these platforms for my own pleasure (in fact, I would be
> happy if these platforms would disappear from the market), but as long
> as our customers use these platforms, we want to promise our software
> runs on those platforms.
>
> I have no problem with the fact that ctypes doesn't build on those
> platforms because I don't use it, but if more and more essential
> packages depend on ctypes, I'm running into trouble. PyOpenGL is an
> example of an extension, that moved completely from C-Source (SWIG
> generated) to ctypes usage.

Hmm, perhaps the ctypes documentation could use a more prominent warning
that it may not be available on some Unix platforms (HP-UX, AIX, IRIX),
and that it may require the use of GCC rather than the vendor compiler
on others (Solaris).

At the moment, I suspect some projects may be switching to using it
without realising the implications for cross-platform portability.

Cheers,
Nick.