[Python-Dev] Proposal: new environment variable PYTHONSTDOUTENCODING

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue May 20 22:24:00 CEST 2008

> What about PYTHONLANG ?
>
> or something that tries to reflect which environment variables are used
> for this ?
>
> (LC_CTYPE -> PYTHONCTYPE ?  if the code uses just LC_CTYPE)

It's not meant to name a locale, but an encoding. In fact, that the
encoding is tied to the locale is IMO a misconception in the POSIX
locale machinery.

> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/xbd_chap08.html#tag_08_02
>
> Just for my own knowledge: why it has to be one word ? can't it be
> PYTHON_LANG ?

No technical reason - just because PYTHONPATH, PYTHONHOME,
PYTHONUNBUFFERED, PYTHONVERBOSE, PYTHONSTARTUP, and PYTHONCASEOK don't
have underscores, either.

Regards,
Martin