[Python-Dev] Issue2889: Add Curses for Windows as native module for 2.6

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat May 24 15:15:30 CEST 2008

2008/5/24 techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>:
>> For this to have any chance, it *must* work with Visual Studio.
>> Requiring gcc is unacceptable.
>
> As for PDCurses library itself there is a Makefile in PDCurses distribution
> for Microsoft Visual C++ 2.0+ named vcwin32.mak  I can't afford buying
> Visual Studio to test if it works with newer versions, but logically Visual
> Studio should be able to convert Makefile to a newer format.

Visual C++ 9.0 Express Edition builds Python quite happily these days.
So you can certainly do the integration without buying anything. If
you get stuck on technical details, there are people here who would
happily give you advice. Windows developers are always welcome!

> As for extension I've provided .bat file that uses GCC for compilation and I
> think I have some ancient Visual C++ compiler to make the similar .bat file
> for cl.exe. But I doubt I'll be able to provide a patch for Python build
> system to compile the module into windows distribution, because I do not
> have much experience with Python build system and with C linking/makefiles
> in general. I know that PDCurses must be added to externals/, but that's
> all.

If you don't have the knowledge needed, and can't spare the time to
learn (which is entirely acceptable) then you are indeed relying on
another Windows developer to pick this up. You may be out of luck
there - nobody has been interested enough to do this before now (it's
not as if PDCurses is new) so there's not much reason to expect things
to have changed.

Paul.