[Python-Dev] Issue 643841: Including a new-style proxy base class in 2.6/3.0

Armin Ronacher armin.ronacher at active-4.com
Tue May 27 14:18:39 CEST 2008

Hi,

Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:

> What version are you using, and are your proxies correctly implementing
> all the __r*__ versions of the methods?
The link to the ugly proxy is in the mail :-)  And no, I'm currently not
providing any __r*__ methods as I was too lazy to test on each call if the
method that is proxied is providing an __rsomething__ or not, and if not come up
with an ad-hoc implementation by calling __something__ and reversing the
arguments passed.

> While there are still some cases where types in the standard library
> raise TypeError directly instead of returning NotImplemented, they're
> generally pretty good about playing well with others (see the
> test_typetools.py file attached to the tracker item for #643841)
I also think that the stdlib should mention NotImplemented with a big warning.
I see countless classes raising TypeError()s if __add__ or something fails which
seem to work alright as long as someone tries to __radd__ it.

Regards,
Armin