[Python-Dev] Iterable String Redux (aka String ABC)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed May 28 14:17:14 CEST 2008

On 27/05/2008, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
> Conceptually, this is a fine idea, but three things bug me.
>
> First, there is a mismatch between the significance of the problem
> being addressed versus the weight of the solution.

Agreed, absolutely.

> Second, this seems like the wrong solution to the problem
> as it places the responsibility in the wrong place and thereby
> hardwires its notion of what kind of objects should be split.

Again, agreed. The flatten function is one of the canonical examples
of the visitor patterns. I see no generalisation of this proposal to
other visitor patterns. I'd rather see a solution which addressed the
wider visitor use case (I think I just sprained my back bending over
backwards to avoid mentioning generic functions :-))

> Third, I thought ABCs were introduced as an optional feature [...]

Again, I agree absolutely.

Paul.