[Python-Dev] PEP 371 Discussion (pyProcessing Module)

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Thu May 29 14:49:17 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 6:22 AM, Michael Foord
<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> Nick Coghlan wrote:
>>
>> Jesse Noller wrote:
>> > Georg kindly published the PEP I submitted last night to the PEP site:
>> >
>> > http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0371/
>> >
>> > This PEP includes some of the previous discussion on the processing
>> > module's inclusion, and I hope clears up/clarifies some of the
>> > goals/non goals and issues. I also included benchmark data and a link
>> > to the code used for said benchmarks.
>> >
>> > I would like to renew the discussion now that "there is a PEP" to see
>> > if there are any outstanding things people would like to get resolved.
>> > I chose to continue to push it for 2.6 / 3.0 inclusion due to feedback
>> > both here and elsewhere that people would rather see this in sooner in
>> > some form, rather than later (i.e.: 2.7/3.1).
>>
>> +1 from me (under the 'multiprocessing' name, with the understanding that
>> some code duplication with other parts of the standard library may still
>> remain in 2.6/3.0).
>
> +1 from me as well.
>
> I think multiple-processes is over played as a concurrency solution in
> Python (where you need to marshal lots of data in and out, the overheads of
> multiple processes can be very expensive) - but it is a very good solution
> for some problems.
>
> Michael Foord

Agreed - this is a "step" rather than the final solution. As I pointed
out in the PEP this is a method to side-step GIL limitations rather
than to address the larger "GIL issue", I am implicitly assuming that
no movement will be made on that front until the bulk of Adam Olsen's
safethreading work is rolled into future versions.

-jesse