[Python-Dev] file open in python interpreter

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 14:57:07 CET 2008

Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 7:25 AM, Benjamin Peterson
> <musiccomposition at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 1:04 AM, adrian golding <adriangolding at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> hi all, i am trying to find out where is the part of the code in the python
>>> interpreter that opens up the .py file and parses it. in particular, i am
>>> trying to find the file open command in that file.  I greped and i just want
>>> to make sure this is it: /Python-2.6/Parser/pgenmain.c
>>> i am intending to take a hash measurement of the .py file just before i open
>>> it to run the script.  is the above file the right place to call for the
>>> measurement before the file open function?
>> You want Parser/tokenizer.c.
>
> Sorry, that's not correct. opening of modules happens in
> Python/import.c. There's also a case in Modules/main.c.

And some indirect ones from runpy.py (via pkgutils) if you use the -m
switch, or are executing a zipfile or directory.

But for the specific case of an exact filename being provided on the
command line, then main.c is the one the original poster will want to
look at (line 567 to be exact).

Cheers,
Nick.