[Python-Dev] Using Cython for standard library?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Nov 3 18:47:28 CET 2008

>> - Option 1: distribute Cython with Python and integrate into build process
>> -- Ouch!
>
> Can you be a bit more descriptive?

Gerhard's elaboration (of us creating a fork of Cython then) is
convincing; there is also the issue of changes to the API to consider.
When we change the API now, we have to find the 20..50 places that
need to get adjusted. If we change the API then, we need to change
the generator - which complicates the evolution. For a Cython outside
of Python, we might not be able to change the API at all.

In addition, there is also the bootstrapping problem. Cython imports
a number of builtin modules - if they are written in Cython, we have
the bootstrapping problem.

Regards,
Martin