[Python-Dev] Using Cython for standard library?

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Mon Nov 3 18:49:01 CET 2008

-> I would love to see the option to write the lower levels in something
-> other than C, but obviously any choice would have to be a good one.
-> Otherwise, we end up stuck or with lots of different languages all
-> being used and making understanding the full codebase harder. For
-> example, I've wondered if RPython would ever reach the point it could
-> be considered in the same way, but I don't think it would be wise to
-> consider both. So, the question I see isn't if Cython should be
-> allowed for standard library modules, but if the landscape of such
-> solutions is at a point that any of them is ready to be committed to.

What is the situation twixt Pyrex and Cython?  As I understand it,
Cython is a non-backwards-compatible fork of Pyrex, forked for the usual
reasons [0].  Have many or most people switched to Cython, or is there
still a respectable community using Pyrex, or ...?

I'm involved in a project that depends on Pyrex and there was no clear
reason for us to switch to Cython.  I've also seen criticisms of
Cython's maturity level (which presumably also apply to Pyrex).  I'd be
interested in hearing about that...

...or is switching to Cython/Pyrex/foo a non-starter?

cheers,
--titus

[0] Which is to say: a variety of reasons, many of which are obviously
arguable, otherwise the Pyrex maintainer would have quit maintaining
Pyrex :).  But let's not go into them!
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu