[Python-Dev] Looking for VCS usage scenarios

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Mon Nov 3 18:58:03 CET 2008

-> Sticking with a dvcs implemented in Python makes the best sense,
-> especially when you consider the plugin architecture.  When we
-> selected a new tracker, we didn't make implementation in Python a
-> requirement, but instead a high hurdle.  Meaning, if a tracker wasn't
-> written in Python it had to be way better than those written in Python.

I worry about the idea of hacking in any way, shape or form, on the
version control system used to maintain the Python source code.  I place
VCSes at the compiler- or OS-level of the toolchain, because you have
the option of fundamentally screwing up the entire project by playing
with them.

So from that perspective it's better to keep it *out* of Python to
remove the temptation to hack :)

-> As for dvcs, I think git would have to show overwhelming advantage
-> over bzr or hg to be considered.

I personally have found git very, very powerful and good, albeit
difficult to learn.  It is guaranteed to scale (unless Python gets to be
significantly bigger and more active than Linux, at any rate) and it has
a large, very technically capable, and supported user community already.

I think there are reasons why git should be at least strongly
considered.

--titus
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu