[Python-Dev] Looking for VCS usage scenarios

Cosmin Stejerean cstejerean at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 19:46:25 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Nov 3, 2008, at 12:58 PM, C. Titus Brown wrote:
>
>  -> Sticking with a dvcs implemented in Python makes the best sense,
>> -> especially when you consider the plugin architecture.  When we
>> -> selected a new tracker, we didn't make implementation in Python a
>> -> requirement, but instead a high hurdle.  Meaning, if a tracker wasn't
>> -> written in Python it had to be way better than those written in Python.
>>
>> I worry about the idea of hacking in any way, shape or form, on the
>> version control system used to maintain the Python source code.  I place
>> VCSes at the compiler- or OS-level of the toolchain, because you have
>> the option of fundamentally screwing up the entire project by playing
>> with them.
>>
>> So from that perspective it's better to keep it *out* of Python to
>> remove the temptation to hack :)
>>

> :)  But actually more interesting is whether we want to add plugins that
> assist Python dev workflow.  For example, let's say we wanted to have a
> 'fixes' command that automatically updated the Roundup tracker with the
> branch information.  I'd personally much rather write 10 lines of Python to
> add such a plugin than any amount of C or Perl, or whatever else. :)

There is no reason you can't develop such a tool on top of git using Python.
In the true spirit of Unix command line utilities you can write tools that
combine or extend the functionality of existing tools in whatever language
you feel comfortable. For example take a look at the repo tool used by
Android to interact with the git repository.
http://source.android.com/download

I've never felt the need to add plugins to my version control system and
have to learn it's API. I've been satisfied with creating a collection of
python scripts or shell scripts to add whatever functionality I needed.

--
Cosmin Stejerean
http://www.offbytwo.com