[Python-Dev] Fwd: Removal of GIL through refcounting removal.

Josiah Carlson josiah.carlson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 19:50:21 CET 2008

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 3:51 PM, <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>    Antoine> I think it is important to remind that the GIL doesn't prevent
>    Antoine> (almost) true multithreading. The only thing it prevents is
>    Antoine> full use of multi-CPU resources in a single process.
>
> I believe everyone here knows that.  I believe what most people are
> clamoring for is to make "full use of their multi-CPU resources in a single
> process".

Which is, arguably, silly.  As we've seen in the last 2 months with Chrome,
multiple processes for a single "program" is actually a pretty good idea.
 With the multiprocessing module in the standard library offering a
threading-like interface, people no longer have any excuses for not fully
exploiting their multiple cores in Python.

 - Josiah