[Python-Dev] Looking for VCS usage scenarios

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 20:47:34 CET 2008

2008/11/3 İsmail Dönmez <ismail at namtrac.org>:
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 20:45, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> I don't see how git can be considered given poor windows support -
>> compilation on OS/X can be a bear too.

I would say that strong support of all of Python's key platforms would
be a requirement (sorry, I haven't had time to read the PEP yet to see
if it already says this). That means Unix (specifically, Linux and
OS/X, and probably a few other Unix variants) and Windows.

> I use git on Linux/Mac/Windows day to day, see
>
> http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/
> http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/

I find the fact that msysgit is a separate project, rather than a part
of core git, is a significant point. Personally, I have dabbled with
git on Windows and it certainly doesn't feel as well-supported as
Bazaar or Mercurial. It's certainly getting closer, but I don't think
even the Git project themselves would say it's there yet (the Git
homepage points to msysgit for binaries, and that page explicitly says
that Windows is only "officially" supported under cygwin). (I could go
on, but I won't - suffice it to say that git doesn't yet feel "native"
on Windows).

Paul.