[Python-Dev] Using Cython for standard library?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Nov 4 09:24:05 CET 2008

C. Titus Brown wrote:

> Cython is a non-backwards-compatible fork of Pyrex, forked for the usual
> reasons [0].

As I see it, there are two main reasons for the fork:

(1) I prefer to develop slowly and carefully, whereas the
Cython people like to rush ahead and try out wild ideas.

(2) There's a difference in philosophy between Pyrex and
Cython. The goal of Pyrex is to provide an easy way to
write efficient extension modules, and exact compatibility
with Python is secondary. The Cython developers want
to create a true superset of Python, so compatibility is
more important to them.

Considering that Pyrex favours efficiency over compatibility
with Python where there's a conflict, it would perhaps be
more appropriate for standard library use, if such a thing
were to be considered at all -- which doesn't seem very
likely in the near future.

--
Greg