[Python-Dev] Using Cython for standard library?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Nov 4 21:06:10 CET 2008

> The project has made inclusion into Python's stdlib a goal right from the
> beginning.

Ah, that changes my view of it significantly. If the authors want to
contribute it to Python some day, I'm looking forward to that (assuming
that they then close their official branch, and make the version inside
Python the maintained one).

That is also independent of whether standard library modules get written
in Cython. I would expect that some may (in particular, if they focus on
wrapping an external library), whereas others might stay what they are
(in particular, when they are in the real core of the interpreter).

> ctypes makes sense for projects that do not require a high-speed interface,
> i.e. if you do major things behind the interface and only call into it from
> time to time, choosing ctypes will keep your code more portable without
> requiring a C compiler. However, if speed matters then it's hard to beat
> Cython even with hand-written C code.

I would personally prefer a Cython integration over a ctypes one, for
the standard library (and supported inclusion of ctypes into Python
regardless).

Regards,
Martin