[Python-Dev] Looking for VCS usage scenarios

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Nov 5 03:36:25 CET 2008

Cosmin Stejerean writes:
 > On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

 > > We're Python programmers.  We're used to people telling us our
 > > tool is too slow.  We just say it does the job superbly and it's
 > > usually fast enough. :)

 > I don't agree with completely dismissing performance just because it's
 > Python.

Oh, it's just an in-joke.  He's doing a "my snake is longer than your
snake" because I sniped at Gustavo with a "TOOWTDI".

 > I see no excuse to let the fact that it's Python make it acceptable
 > to have an application with otherwise unacceptable performance.

Barry and many others obviously find the performance of non-git VCSes
acceptable.  On the other hand, Brett has conceded that git's
performance has enough fans that it has to be on the table (even
though he admits to a strong bias against it, that's the major
concession).

Performance is *always* a consideration.  IMO, now that it has been
acknowledged that performance varies considerably among VCSes, it's
more important at this point to figure out what Python development's
*other* requirements are.