[Python-Dev] Using Cython for standard library?

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Wed Nov 5 10:04:36 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:06 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> The project has made inclusion into Python's stdlib a goal right from the
>> beginning.
>
> Ah, that changes my view of it significantly. If the authors want to
> contribute it to Python some day, I'm looking forward to that (assuming
> that they then close their official branch, and make the version inside
> Python the maintained one).
>
> That is also independent of whether standard library modules get written
> in Cython. I would expect that some may (in particular, if they focus on
> wrapping an external library), whereas others might stay what they are
> (in particular, when they are in the real core of the interpreter).

I think it is also a good idea to write things using pure Python
syntax in Cython, so that all other Python implementations, like
Jython, Pypy, IronPython can just take it and run it in pure Python
mode. Pure Python syntax means that the code runs in Python
unmodified, but can also be compiled with Cython. Pure Python syntax
was only recently added to Cython, so I guess it should be well tested
first.

What do you think?

Ondrej