[Python-Dev] Using Cython for standard library?

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Wed Nov 5 15:55:09 CET 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Ah, that changes my view of it significantly. If the authors want to
> contribute it to Python some day, I'm looking forward to that (assuming
> that they then close their official branch, and make the version inside
> Python the maintained one).
>
> That is also independent of whether standard library modules get written
> in Cython. I would expect that some may (in particular, if they focus on
> wrapping an external library), whereas others might stay what they are
> (in particular, when they are in the real core of the interpreter).
>
> I would personally prefer a Cython integration over a ctypes one, for
> the standard library (and supported inclusion of ctypes into Python
> regardless).

I agree from the bottom of my heart. In the past I've used Pyrex Cython
for wrapping libraries and small snippets of C speedup with great
success. The learning curve is smooth and experiments show quick success.

Once Cython's development has slowed down and stabilized I like to see
its usage for non-critical extension modules. Cython should make it
easier to write wrappers for libraries or the IO performance improvement
module, Amaury is working on. However I wouldn't want to use it for
anything critical to the core of Python. I like to keep that C code of
the core as readable as possible.

Christian